Releasing Your Skin
There are two main places to release your skin, the skinning forum and the skinning subreddit. Make sure to read the rules of the skinning forum before you post your skin. The major difference between the forum and the subreddit is, that the forum forbids every kind of mixed skins (besides stealing sounds, thats the only thing that is allowed) and NSFW content (this refers to skins, links to image sources and everything else!), while the subreddit allows those. However, the subreddit may allow mixed skins, but don’t expect a positive response if your skin is mostly made up from other peoples elements. There are a few things you should do when posting your skin:
- Reduce its file size, no one likes to download 200MB skins. The main thing to do here is to use pinga. Make a copy of your skin and use it on the copy. Never use pinga on original files. With the default settings it will greatly reduce file sizes without losing any image quality. However, if you run it more than once on the same file you can see a noticeable loss of image quality. So if you publish e.g. an update for your skin, you need to update the original files, make a copy and then run pinga on those.
- Use BBCode to format your post. Use Markdown or reddits editor if you post on the subreddit.
- Either add a spoiler box and embed screenshots of the skin by using the [img][/img] tag or add a link to an imgur album that contains all screenshots.
- You can make images that lead to sites by nesting an img tag inside of a url one.
[url=URL HERE][img]IMG URL HERE[/img][/url]
- Upload your skin to a reliable filehoster, such as mediafire, mega or google drive. Note that you should not use mediafire for skins with high file sizes, it has a very limited download speed. Under no circumstances use puu.sh or a similar service. Puu.sh deleted files if they are not frequently accessed, which is the reason why a lot of skins on the forum do not have a working download link anymore. Make sure to make a backup of your skin on another filehoster, in case the host you used stops its service or deletes the file for some reason.
- Make some fancy banner. It may sound stupid, but it really helps your post to stand out.
- Make sure that your skin does not contain any parts from another skin that wasn’t made by you (besides sounds) when posting in the skinning forum. This isn’t a rule on the subreddit, but it always is appreciated if your skin is truly original.
- Please link your sources. This isn’t a rule, but it would be nice to link your font, the image sources, sound sources and whatever else you used. If we steal images from artists the least we can do is to give them proper credit.